2015 Fall 7

For question a, before reading the notes, I made a following guess.
15% correctly calculated as participation ratio.
But for LR, instead of taking 75015% as a part of premium, I directly took 50 as that is the amount this company put into RSP.
So I got LR = (1000
15%)/(50*125%) = 240%.

So if I understand correctly, the only thing differentiating the LR for each company on its share of RSP is the amount of expense allowance? But then again, I'm thinking why is the expense allowance being added to the portions of premiums? Doesn't that make everybody's LR on its share of RSP lower than it is? Like, sum of all the companies' LR's numerators or sum of all the companies' LR's denominator should give RSP LR, but since each company's expense allowance is added to the denominator, doesn't this lower the LR? Shouldn't the total expense allowance actually be subtracted from 750?

I think it should be like this
LR = (100015%)/[(750(1-25%)15%+5025%]

Comments

• Let me start by writing out the formula used in the examiner's report: (BTW, the "*" in this editor's markup language means "italics". If you want to indicate "multiplication", you have to use "x". That's why your formulas came out funny and you have italics in your post.) Anyway...

• LR = losses / premiums
    • losses = Prov.IL(ceded) x PR
    • prems = [Prov.EP(ceded) x PR] + [Co.EP(ceded) x PEA]

If you use prem = 50 in the denominator, then to be consistent, you should use loss = 40 in the numerator because Co.IL(ceded) = 40. So if you agree with the 150 as losses in the numerator, then using prem = 50 in the denominator is logically inconsistent. Now let's address your other comment about how LRs can be different between companies.

There are 2 things (not just the expense allowance) that cause different companies to have different LRs:

• their participation ratio, PR
    • how much premium they ceded, Co.EP(ceded), which determines their expense allowance.

If I'm reading your question correctly, you are asking:

• Why isn't the term [Co.EP(ceded) x PEA] subtracted from the numerator versus added to the denominator.

I understand why you might have asked that because expenses are usually included with losses. But that's not the right thing to do here because it's not really an expense. Think about like this:

• The ceded losses and premiums do not directly impact the company's LR. Those losses & premiums are dumped into the pool of losses & premiums that everyone contributes to.
    • Then, at the end of the year (or whenever) each company becomes responsible for a portion of those those ceded losses.
    • But they also get "premium credit" to offset those losses. That credit comes in 2 forms. First, they get back a portion of the total provincial ceded premium. (That portion is determined by the PR.) Second, they get back a portion of the premium they originally ceded as reimbursement for servicing those ceded policies. (It wouldn't really make sense to subtract that amount from the numerator, as if it were part of the losses, because it all comes out of the premiums.)

Getting back to one of the points you made in your original question, the expense allowance term in the denominator does indeed make the LR lower, but not in an "incorrect" way. It comes out of the "premium pot" so it should be included with whatever other premiums are being included in the the calculation, not with the losses.

I hope that helps. This is definitely a very confusing question exam problem.

• In order to lower LR, we should cede risks with higher LR than the pool's average LR. However in this question,

Ceded business LR = 40/50 = 80%
    Pool LR (with company A) = 1000/750 = 133.33%
    Pool LR (w/o company A) = (1000-40)/(750-50) = 137.14%

Ceded LR is way lower than the pool average, and yet, company's total LR still goes down 3% (75% to 72%) after it cedes risks to the pool. Why is this happening?

• edited July 2019

That's a good observation. For part (d), it isn't quite so simple as sample answer 2 in the examiner's report implies.

When a company cedes business, there are several moving parts that have to be taken into account and neither the examiner's report nor the source text discuss this in sufficient detail.

In your example, the company is ceding business with a LR of 80% which is LESS than the pool average. You would think this would make the company's total LR worse because their "good" policies are now subsidizing the "bad" pool policies which have an average LR of 133.3%. But there's more going on...

1. as soon as they cede policies, their PR (Participation Ratio) goes down and they get a benefit from that...they will pay a lower proportion of those high-LR pooled losses
    2. the company PEA reimbursement (Provincial Expense Allowance) goes up since the reimbursement depends on the amount of premium ceded

These 2 items offset the penalty from ceding "good" policies to the pool. I suppose you could calculate the break-even point by solving these equations simultaneously. But there would be many more variables than equations because each policy could be ceded or not ceded. That means there would be 2^n combinations of policies (where n = # of policies). In other words there isn't a unique solution. That's probably why the examiner's report answer just simplifies the answer to the simpler statement:

• cede policies with a higher LR than the pool average

If you ceded enough bad policies, you would definitely come out ahead.

If there were no limit to what you could cede, a sure-fire strategy might be to cede everything. Then your company PR=0 and you wouldn't be responsible for any pool losses. You would also have no retained losses so your company's entire income would be from reimbursement due to the PEA. (This is basically what a servicing carrier is for FARM.)

I will add a link in the wiki to this discussion thread. Thank you for your insightful observation.

• I agree, there is definitely more to this actuarial game of musical chair than meets the eye, a game I hope I would get the chance to play one day for real. =) Thanks Graham!

• Hi @graham, I was reading the original post in this thread, and it seems like the question was actually slightly different than what you answered. I don't think the problem is with subtracting expense allowance from the numerator vs adding it to the denominator. The question is really about why the formula from the examiner's report for a single company doesn't work for all companies combined (i.e. LR for the entire pool).

Since the participation ratio of all companies combined is 100%, we would replace 15% in the problem with 100%. Then, since total ceded premium is 750, we would use that instead of 50, when determining the total expense allowance returned to all companies combined. As a result, we get (100% * 1000)/((750 * 100%) + 25% * 750) = 106.7% (not in line with the value of total RSP LR).

The question is: where are we getting these additional 25% of total ceded premium from?

I believe the answer is: instead of multiplying PR by the total ceded premium, we should really be multiplying it by the (total ceded premium less the expense allowance), because the expense allowance is automatically returned to the respective insurer regardless of their participation ratio.

So the formula for company A, as mentioned in the original post, would be (15% * 1000)/((750 * (1- 25%) * 15%) + 25% * 50) = 154.8%

Or if generalize:
    [PR * Prov.IL(ceded)]/[[(Prov.EP(ceded) * (1-PEA) * PR] + PEA * Co.EP(ceded)]

If we substitute the values for all companies combined, we will get the same value as you provided for the total RSP LR:
    (100% * 1000)/((750 * (1- 25%) * 100%) + 25% * 750) = 133.3%

• You know what - I did misread the original question. I see now what the original poster was saying and it does make more sense than the answer in the examiner's report.

The answer in the examiner's report double-counts the expense allowance in the denominator. This causes the LR to be lower than it should be on Company A's share of the pool, 120%, instead of 154.8%, as you said.

I'm not sure what to suggest here because the source text does not properly explain how to do this calculation.

• They define the PR correctly, and say that each company shares in the losses according to their PR. So the numerator in the LR is correct as given.

But as you and the original poster correctly pointed out, the problem is with the denominator of the LR formula

• The source text says each company receives a percentage of ceded premium as an expense allowance. That's the second term in the denominator and that seems correct.
    • It's the first term in the denominator that double-counts the expense allowance if you follow the examiner's report.

I appreciate you thinking through all this and I will put a link to your post in the wiki. I honestly don't think they will ask a question like this again because the source text for this material doesn't have any calculations. It's all conceptual and except for that one question from 2015.Fall, all exam questions have been essays not calculations. Still, I suppose you can't be totally sure.

Unfortunately, I put a question like this on the 2019.Fall practice exam and I used the method from the examiner's report. That means you will get a different answer when you do it. I think I will just remove this from future practice exams altogether.

• HI @graham , to add on the discussion with @DulcineaDelCA above, the examiner's report also suggests that Company A should add more risks to the RSP since it is below the max limit.

My question is "How do we know Company A is below the max limit?"

• The source says that the Max limit is 8 % of Total Voluntary, Non-fleet,** Written Exposures**, but the question only gives us Earned Exposures.
  • The 8% limit is for New Brunswick. This exam problem is about Nova Scotia and there's (currently) no limit on the number of risks transferred for NS, although certain other limitations and conditions still apply.

• Thank you very much @graham !

• hi, for calculating participation ratio - should we always use formula (EE non ceded company/ EE non ceded province) -> or does this formula varies by province? If yes, do you know what would be the cases.

thanks

• From the Dutil reading:

But this doesn't completely answer your question. The participation ratio is slightly different for Ontario, but you are not expected to go to the external source. For the purposes of the exam, you should assume the formula is the same for all RSPs.

• Hi Graham, is it fair to say that a company is better off sharing its bad risk for the following 2 reasons:

1. Bad risks are shared with other members.
    2. Ceded bad risks LOWERs Participation Ratios, hence being a good thing since the insurer is now responsible for a smaller share of the bad RSP.

Each insurer should be maximizing their RSP limit, right?

• Points 1 and 2 are good rules of thumb:

1. Ceding less desirable risks to the pool is a hedge. If you cede risks that are worse than the pool average, then everyone else ends up subsidizing you. If you (inadvertently) cede risks that are better than the pool, then you end up subsidizing everyone else, but that's often a risk worth taking. Using a pool can stabilize your results. Of course, you try to cede only risks that are worse than the pool but it's game everyone is trying to play at the same time so it's tough to always win.
    2. The formula for PR (Participation Ratio) does indeed indicate that your PR goes down if you write less voluntary business. So you would be getting a lower share of these poor risks.

Regarding whether each insurer should cede the maximum, I'm not sure that's true. An insurer would want to cede risks they think are worse than the pool. If the limit is 5% for example but only 4% of an insurer's risks are expected to be worse than the pool average, then they would only cede 4%. The other 1% would be better than the pool average and the insurer would end up paying more through sharing than if they had just kept that 1% themselves.

I don't think there's any foolproof way to calculate exactly how many risks, and which risks, should be ceded to the pool to exactly maximize profit (or whatever other metric you might want to maximize or minimize.) There are too many moving parts. But it should always have the effect of stabilizing or reducing the variability of an insurer's overall results from year to year.

• edited October 2021

If this question were to be a ON RSP, would we multiply the companies "share of pooled losses and premium" by 85%. So for part A, would it be 0.85x150/(0.85x750x0.15+Premium Expense Allowance=Premium Ceded x 0.85x Expense allowance %)?

• Another question, correct me if I'm wrong, but the ceded premium to the pool is Net of acquisition expenses. The acquisition expenses for the premiums are approximated as the ceded premium x Expense allowance. So the Losses on their share of the RSP = Losses responsible for / Premium responsible for (including acquisition expenses) hence why the denominator adds the expense.

• First question:

• Whether you multiply by 0.85 (to account for the fact that in Ontario, there is an 85% limit on the loss ceded per policy) depends on how the data is provided. In this problem, it appears that the ceded losses are what was actually ceded after taking the 85% cession limit into account so you should not have to multiply by 0.85. If you got a problem like this for ON, the problem might provide a statement to make it clear what you're supposed to do.

Second question: According to the source text:

• The premium transferred to the pool is the premium actually charged by the insurance company net of premium payment service charges. The insurer then receives a percentage of the transferred written premium as an expense allowance.
    • See my post from October 2019 further up in this thread. I think the examiner's report answer might be wrong for part (a).