Excel Exhibit (App C Sh 1)

For the FCF timing, why is 2024 broken down by quarter vs the rest are by year?

Comments

• Premiums are paid quarterly when the policy is active. After that, only losses are remaining which are assumed to be paid once a year

• Thanks! Is this just an assumption or it's a rule? What about the premium receivable of $100 (no need to split)?

• It's usually an assumption which should be stated. When we talk about premiums in the context of the FCF, it always refers to premiums received/ receivable and not earned premium. Usually they are paid over the quarter, but in this example it is all paid off in Q1 which makes sense since there are only $100 dollars left. It is the maintenance cost that is assumed to be paid quarterly. I think this example wasn't clear on the assumptions to make with respect to timing of non-claim payments. I expect it to be much clearer in the actual exam

• Can you clarify the formula for LRC for PAA? PAA LRC = unearned premium - DAC. Isn't unearned insurance revenue = unearned premium or is that wrong? The example is taking: premium received - unearned insurance revenue to be = unearned premium.

• insurance revenue = earned premium. It is the same thing

• yes so wouldn't premium received - unearned insurance revenue = earned premium? My understanding of the example is that it is taking it as premium received - unearned insurance revenue = unearned premium

• Your former point is correct. Where are you seeing the latter? On "App C Sch 2 - LRC non onerous", Premium received - earned insurance revenue = Unearned premium (PAA estimate since DAC is 0)

• Hi, so sample question 17 in the IFRS problem has:
    * PAA LRC (excl LC) = premiums received - Insurance revenue - DAC.

I believe given insurance revenue = earned premium typically, we are calculating the "unearned" from taking premiums received - insurance revenue which aligns with the formula for PAA being UEP - IACF. What I don't understand is why we aren't using direct unearned premium for the PAA LRC -> Premium Received + Premium Receivable - Insurance Revenue? Isn't this also unearned?

• edited March 19

That's cause IFRS17 doesn't use gross written premiums to calculate the premium liabilities/LRC, but only premiums that you have on hand, which doesn't include premiums receivable. Technically, there's no coverage yet until you receive payment of premiums