Emergence in t with respect to accident years t-1 and prior

edited April 2019 in CIA.Runoff

Is the text incorrect or am I not understanding the modification for investment income?

Page 3 and 4 of Evaluation of the Runoff of P&C Claim Liabilities when the Liabilities are Discounted in Accordance with Accepted Actuarial Practice has two calculations:

Undiscounted Basis:

1.1.(b) = (Claim liabilities at t-1) – (Paid during t) – (Claim liabilities at t)

Is followed by an explanation on how to determine the discounted emergence (or excess):

Equation (b) in item 1.1 above would be modified by subtracting a term for the portion of the investment income earned during calendar year t on assets supporting the liabilities.

Immediately followed by a table with equation 5 (excess), which proceed to add the investment income

Excess (Deficiency) During (t) = [(3) + (4)] – [(1) + (2)]
[(3) Discounted Claim Liabilities @ (t-1) + (4) Investment Income (t)] - [(1) Paid Losses (t) + (2) Discounted Claim Liabilities (t)]

Comments

• @chrisboersma, I believe you are right. I definitely would agree with the calculations in the table as that makes more sense.

Going back to the two options given in section 1.2:
    1. discounting the amounts in the second and third terms to time t-1 (i.e., calculate the present value of the cash flows)
    2. subtracting a term for the portion of the investment income earned during calendar year t on assets supporting the liabilities.

Option 1 would result in a larger value (since you're discounting the terms that are being subtracted), whereas option 2 would result in a smaller value. So these options seem to contradict each other.

• edited February 2023

Maybe the difference resides in subtracting from "assets supporting liabilities" vs adding to "amount of excess or deficiency"? The difference is still unclear for me but I found this in 2015 Fall 13