Premium Liabilities Duration

How do we account for the avg accident date adjustment in the duration calculations? Since the past exams are outdated, I think it would really help if I could see a detailed calculation of premium liability duration with the new method

Comments

• edited April 2019

Have you gone through?

http://www.cia-ica.ca/docs/default-source/2017/217027te.xlsx?sfvrsn=0

App A Sh4

This is likely how the CAS would want to form the exam questions. They calculate both effective and modified durations.

modified = (Macaulay - 1/6) / (1+ r)
    effective = calculate 3 present value [@i,i+delta(i), i-delta(i)] calculations using the 1/6 adjustment: x (1+r)^(1/6)

Also, in that worksheet you can replace the 0.5 in Cell C10 with 0.3333 (or the (9) Mean Accident Date of UPR) and the adjustment factor will disappear: 1/3 - 1/3 = 0 (instead of 1/2 - 1/3 = 1/6). We move the calculation from an adjustment to directly calculating the present value (which in my opinion is easier then remembering how to do the adjustment).

• Why do we assume that payment are made at mid-year and then go through adjustements because we know they are not made at mid-year ?

Why not assume payments are made at every 1/3 of year and just skip the flippidyfloppidity recalculation.

Is it because is so much faster to type it in the calculator ? Or is it simply so thta both premium and claim calculations look similar ?

• Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm referring to a question in particular.

2016 Fall Q15a - the battle card answer provides a final answer of the new method for premium duration but there are no calculations shown