Appendix B for Fall 2019

Hi there,

Has anyone heard an update from the CAS about whether or not Appendix B is indeed excluded from the syllabus?

The official syllabus (pdf) explicitly states its exclusion, but the list of online text references doesn't mention any exclusions (not even Appendix A's exclusion)... Just not sure how we should approach this :smile:

Comments

• We emailed the CAS a few months ago and their response from June 6, 2019 was:

• "Both appendices are not required study material and the syllabus is correct."

But I don't trust this. If Appendix B is excluded then many of the prior exam problems are knocked out and there isn't much left to test. My advice is to study Appendix B. (I want to see how DCAT is tested in the next couple of exam cycles before removing it from the BattleActs content.)

• That makes sense, thanks. Wish they were more clear about this!

• Me too, but like Steven Tyler says, "Dream on!"

• edited October 2019

Hi all,

For whatever it's worth, I believe that the removal of Appendix B simply means that we don't need to know by heart the details of those specific 9 major risk categories. That doesn't mean we can forget about adverse scenarios, ripple effects and corrective management actions. They can (and almost certainly will) make up any situation where we have to come up with these three components.

Cheers,

• But you are applying logical reasoning @jptardif2! (I wish they would have just said what removing Appendix B was supposed to mean.)

When they've asked questions about ripple effects in the past, their grading has been fairly strict. If you stated a ripple effect that wasn't specific to the given adverse scenario, they would not give you credit. For example, if the adverse scenario was "increase in auto accident frequency" and your ripple was "shortage of building materials", they didn't give you credit. (That would have been a ripple effect for an earthquake scenario.) That's a pretty obvious example, but the point I want to make is that you should still make sure your ripple effect is related to the adverse scenario in the question. Maybe you don't have to memorize Appendix B to be able to do that, but just keep that point in mind.

I'll be very curious to see if they change the way they ask DCAT questions on the next exam.