Resurfice v Hanke

For

"(2014.Spring 3 c.) → 0.500 pts" in the battle quizzes, the solution states, "Accident WAS NOT reasonably forseeable".

Since the trial judge said the accident was reasonably forseeable by Hanke's own admittance, and that the trial ruling was reinstated, shouldn't it say "accident WAS reasonably forseeable"?

Comments

• I've always found the wording of the "but for" test confusing so here's how I think about the case in my own words:

• The whole thing was Hanke's fault because he didn't pay close enough attention to which tank he was filling.
    • The accident WAS NOT reasonably forseeable by the manufacturer. Maybe the gas and water tanks were close together and looked similar, but apparently they were labelled and if Hanke had been paying proper attention, he wouldn't have mixed them up.
    • The BattleCard saying that the accident WAS NOT reasonably forseeable is the reason the "but for" test had to be used, and not the "material contribution" test. (The next BattleCard, for part (d), asks you to state when the "material contribution" test can be used. The 2nd requirement is that the accident MUST BE reasonably forseeable. Since it wasn't you can't use the "material contribution" test.)
  • Ah I see. This helps, thanks!

• Hi,

So can I say that because that the water and gas tank should have labelled differently, therefore it is not reasonably foreseeable. And so the "But for" test is applied.

"But for" means "even not", so even the 2 tanks not being arranged as closes as they are, would the explosion still occur? And the answer is yes? because its not the design fault, but the negligence for not giving proper attention by plaintiff when filling up the machine? Therefore it failed the but for test?

I here try to convince myself about how this actually fail the "but for test"?

Thanks and Cheers,
    Wilson

• edited August 2021

Yes, the "but for" test is applied because the accident was not reasonably forseeeable.

The question that must be asked for the "but for" test is:

• Would the accident still have happened but for the action/omission of the defendant (manufacturer)

The answer is yes. The accident still would have happened because the plaintiff (Hanke) was careless, not because of the design of the Zamboni. The conclusion is that the defendant is not liable.

• Right, crystal clear. Thanks Graham! :smile: