Rate Regulatory Approaches

KPMG, “Research Report – Best Practices for Actuarial Involvement in the Regulatory Oversight of Property and Casualty Insurance Rates,” December 2012, pp. 21-31.

RE: Description of Rate Regulatory Approaches

Do we know why pages 17 - 20 were excluded from the reading here? Based on Spring 2015 exam they seem relevant and helpful in the context of understanding the approaches listed on pages 21 - 31.

Comments

• Same article:

When they refer to New Brunswick , why do they not call it "Prior Approval with Deemer provision".

NBIB has authority to notify insurer within 30 days time frame that it intends to investigate

Similarly for Newfoundland, why do they not refer to it as a "Flex Rating" system. When clearly it has different rules depending on the changes requested: Decrease - "File & Use" / Increase (on any factor): prior-approval.

• For your first question regarding why pages 17-20 were excluded, I emailed that same question to the CAS about a year ago. All they said was that candidates are expected to know relevant material that supports the syllabus material. (Kind of a non-answer. You could really go down some rabbit holes if you took that to heart!)

I think it's wise to cover pages 17-20 even though it's technically not on the syllabus. I kept it in the BattleActs content, and it's pretty easy.

About the deemer provision in New Brunswick, I got that same question in an email a while back and I don't know why they don't call it what you said. I didn't bother emailing the CAS about it because based on my experience with them, I don't think they would provide a satisfactory response.

About flex rating in NF, I agree it looks like flex-rating where the band might be (-infinity, 0) for file & use. Then any rate change outside that range would be an increase and subject to prior approval. Possibly the reason they don't call it flex-rating, and I'm guessing, is that it doesn't appear to be used in Canada at all, and possibly not widely even in the U.S., so instead of complicating things with a new regulatory approach, they just describe it in terms of regulatory approaches that are already familiar.

On a more encouraging note, this is a relatively low-ranked paper, currently at number 32, and well within the bottom 20%. That means there likely won't be any questions other than what's already been asked.