Goals of reform question

Can you explain what is meant by "Private Sector Delivery Model"

Comments

• Here's a web page from IBC that talks about public versus private auto insurance:

Basically, public means it's a non-profit where the employees (who write policies and handle claims, etc...) are all government employees. A private delivery model is what exists in Ontario where a corporation like Intact or Aviva hires and pays "regular citizens" to perform all the insurance company functions. Private insurers are regulated by the government.

• So one of the goals of Alberta Auto Reform is that they want to transition to a private sector delivery model, and currently they have a hybrid model. They also want to transition from their hybrid model to a pure no-fault model.

Is pure no-fault model the same thing as "Private Sector Delivery Model"? Just phrased differently?

• A pure no fault model has nothing to do with the delivery of services. Pure no fault basically means no sue-ing the at fault party. Everyone claims from their own insurer. Like Quebec. It should technically help keeps costs lower and claim times shorter because you don't have to go to court and litigate

• Ahh sorry my brain is tired, I think I meant to ask doesn't AB already have a private sector model? I thought only BC, MB, SK, and QC have public auto?

• Yeah I think AB is already private right now. Maybe they are referring to this?
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/auto-insurance-alberta-panel-1.5782533