Premium Growth for Operational Risk - Battle Quiz 6 - Calculation

The premium growth formula provided does not reconcile with the example on pg. 76. The one in the examiner's report for Fall 2017 20. c) however is more in-line with the paper (as expected).

Please correct the battle quiz algorithm/solution to accept the formula found within the paper.

Comments

• The MCT paper doesn't specifically provide a formula so I invented my own. My formula is algebraically equivalent to what they did in the text and gives the same answer as can be seen as follows:

• Growth from 150 to 225 is 50%
    • Therefore growth above the 20% threshold is 30%
    • DWP + AWP = 225

Then according to my formula, the growth charge

= (risk factor) x (excess growth) x (DWP+AWP) / (1+growth)
    = 2.5% x 30% x 225 / (1.5)
    = 1.125

which rounds to 1.13 and agrees with the answer in p76.

The term (DWP+AWP)/(1+growth) is just the premium from the prior year, which in this case is given. That means you can rewrite the formula like this if you want:

(risk factor) x (excess growth) x (prior year's DWP + AWP)

To create a formula that exactly matches the example in the text, you could write:

(risk factor) x [(current premium) - (prior premium) x 1.20]

However you do it, the risk factor has to be multiplied by the dollar amount of the premium growth that's in excess of 20%. I will add a link to this post in the wiki.

• Thank you. I had mistakenly used the premium amount before growth when trying to reconcile the two methods.