BCAR vs. FCT (DCAT) Battlecard

The battle card says they are both similar in that they test multiple events. But BCAR tests 2nd non-concurrent event. Would BCAR also test a 2nd concurrent event as well?

Also, in my understanding, this means BCAR tests 2 events in 1 test thus satisfying "testing multiple events", and FCT tests 1 event in 1 test for multiple different tests thus satisfying "testing multiple events". This is correct?

Comments

• Hi,

I was reading the latest BCAR while trying to find where it states in the source that the BCAR would test a 2nd non-concurrent event and came up with a blank. I think the syllabus has changed? @graham thoughts? The latest BCAR is dated August 2021. The closest thing to that is on page 33, but that would just be testing a single event and page 33 isn't on the syllabus anymore - I do remember this point when I studied for Exam 6C but this was a long time ago ~
    For your second point relating to the FCT, I would think so, yes.

• Yes, that was a change when the reading was updated. In particular, the natural catastrophe stress test changed a little bit. I will take a look at that BattleCard. (When readings change, I don't always catch every instance of where an update needs to be made so thanks for mentioning it.)

• Hi, I am not sure why 2018 Spring Q22 and 2015 Spring Q17 are written as "Outdated".
    Do we still need to memorize this?

• No you don't. It's labelled as outdated because in the latest BCAR you do not test a second catastrophic event

• Can you please expand on the solution on similarities and difference between BCAR and FCT?

• what specifically do you need elaboration on?

• Particularly, in the similarity: Both test for multiple events. I agree how FCT still does this. Where did we do that on BCAR?

• Hi @graham, you said above that BCAR does not test second CAT longer.

I understand that second catastrophe on BCAT is no longer on syllabus. But does it still exists and is just not within syllabus or does not exist at all?

Thanks!

• As far as I can tell from the syllabus readings, the natural catastrophe stress test no longer incorporates a second catastrophe. Anything beyond the syllabus would not be tested. Hope that helps.

• Thanks @graham

But in the screenshot above, it is written the stressed score measures impact of second catastrophe.

Can you please clarify?

• The natural catastrophe stress used to incorporate 2 catastrophes but now the "normal" BCAR includes a catastrophe component so the natural catastrophe stress test only tests 1 catastrophe.

So both before and after the change to the test, the BCAR system as a whole tested 2 catastrophes. It's just organized differently now.

• I'm still confused about whether there's 1 or 2 CATs tested... in the wiki, I believe there was mention to 2 catastrophes. But when reading the BCAR.Cat reading, the stressed BCAR score measures the balance sheet strength after a CAT event, but does not specify whether this would be the 1st CAT or 2nd CAT. I know the standard BCAR score includes a capital requirement for one CAT event (B8) so i'm not sure. Is the testing of 2 CATs completely irrelevant now?

Thanks in advance.

• It is 2 Cats tested as Graham alluded to above and the stressed BCAR score measures BS strength after the second cat event. The wiki is pretty clear on this

• if we are asked to compare the difference & similarity of BCAR and FCT, similarity is that they both test multiple events, what is the best answer for the difference?

• Would a difference be that BCAR applies qualitative adjustments while FCT does not?

• I think that would be an acceptable answer.