categories of approaches to flood management

What is an advantage of privately administered vs publicly administered? Publicly administered might be cheaper since it has the infrastructure in place but I can't think of a private advantage.

Comments

• Privately administered insurance definitely has a few advantages:

• private insurance pricing is risk-based so it's fairer to consumers
    • private insurers compete for customers so may have better customer service and more innovation regarding product design
    • with private insurance, profits stay within the private sector which is generally desirable (provided government regulations are in place to prevent abuse)
    • private insurance is self-sustaining and doesn't rely on tax dollars for financial support
  • my question was referring more to the administration side of insurance and less the person actually insuring you. Is there a specific advantage of having your insurance administered by private vs public?

• I think you might be trying to draw too fine a distinction here with "administration" versus other aspects of insurance. If an exam question asked for advantages of private administration of insurance, the above answers should be awarded full credit.